The Carthusian monastery Bistra or Kartuzija Bistra, in Latin Domus Vallis Jocosae, was founded as the third Carthusian monastery in Slovenia. It was founded in 1255 by Bernard Spanheimski together with his son Ulrik the Third Spanheimski, then Duke of Carinthia.
This was the first Carthusian monastery in Carniola and, in addition to the Žička Carthusian, the Jurklošter Carthusian and the Pleterje Carthusian, one of the four Carthusian in Slovenia.
Pope Alexander the Fourth had previously (in 1257) already granted the monastery two papal privileges, with which he ensured the uninterrupted operation of the monastery. Later popes and secular rulers then primarily confirmed old rights to the monastery, or granted them new ones or granted them more estates. One of the more important privileges was exemption from customs duty on necessities of life. Because of this, Bistra expanded a lot and thus began to buy foreign estates, among others from the Žička Carthusian.
The first half of the 14th century represents the peak of the monastery's activity. This is how the operation of the monastery library, where many transcriptions and original works were created, was especially successful. In the years 1364 and 1382, the monastery was hit by two major fires, which started the slow decline of the monastery.
According to the administrative division of the time, the monastery property consisted of Borovnička and Kamnik areas, and in the fourteenth century the Parish of Cerknica was added to it. The first major crisis period was during the priory of Primož Jobst, when the monastery was threatened with closure several times.
The core of the monastery was a typically Carthusian one-nave church from the 13th century with a small cruciform corridor, along which there were common rooms with the chapter hall and dining room. A large area on the eastern side was occupied by a large cruciform corridor, which connected the monastic cells arranged around it. In the middle was the monastery cemetery. The church, demolished in 1808, stood where today the courtyard opens towards the park.
The chapel of St. Jožef, decorated with rich stucco and frescoes by Anton Cebe from the second half of the 18th century. In the 16th century, farm buildings were added along the stream, and in the 17th, the monastery was remodeled and baroque arcades were added.
The twenty-ninth of January 1782 marked the end of Carthusian activity, when Emperor Joseph II. issued a decree on the dissolution of the monastery. The monks received severance pay and a pension, and the property was partly confiscated, partly sold, and partly handed over to the Church. The estate was bought in 1826 by the factory owner Franc Galle, who gave the building the appearance of a manor house and removed the last Carthusian elements.