Bistra was founded in the 13th century as the Carthusian
monastery. In 1826 the property was bought by a merchant and factory owner
Franc Galle who had turned building into a chateau by removing the last
remains of the monastery. The estate comprising more than 1200 ha of land,
four wood saws, a mill and hunting hut. In 1945 Bistra was declared as
the national possession and
(VR tour from year 2000-2003) was founded in 1951. Idyllic
place with a rich museum collection is a popular and well visited destination. Ljubljanica river has many springs which well from teh border of the limestone plateau with the Barje basin. The most noticeable springs are at Močilnik, Retovje and Bistra.