The house in which Prešeren was born is essentially similar to the other older buildings in the village. However, it has retained the greatest number of antiques. When it was built in the sixteenth century (stone archway in the basement) it was mostly made of wood, with only the basement, hall, and barn being made of stone. After a fire in 1856 the house was re-built and remains preserved in this image to this day. the building was ceremoniously opened as a museum in 1939. The rooms contain articles and furniture that date back to the nineteenth century. In 1985, the historical siginificance of the house was increased by the addition of: translations of poems by Prešeren into different languages, eighty-four mutually exclusive publications of "Poezije"; and literature on the life and work of the poet, Dr. France Prešeren.
Virtual guide