Castle of Fala
is situated above the right bank of Drava River on the natural – geological and climate border.
The first written source of the Fala (Domus Volmars - Valle) is from 1245. There was a monastery which made this place as an important cultural centre of the region. In 1620 was founded a philosophy, theology and economy department of Vienna University. In 1628 a statute ofFala Universitywas certified by Vienna University.
The castle is today a private property since December 2006.
Nearby the castle, up to the river flow, is The Fala hydroelectric power plant which was built between 1913 and 1918. As a technological and construction achievement of its time, the Slovenian Ministry of Culture included it in its register of monuments of national importance in 2008.
More about the castle.