The mercury mine in Idrija was the second largest mercury mine in the world and one of the oldest mines in Europe with the continuous production since 1490.
On July 2nd, 2012 in Saint Petersburg, UNESCO's World Heritage Committee decided to include Idrija's mercury mine along with the mine in Spain's Almaden on its world heritage list.
Former mercury mine in Idrija -
Anthony's main road
is the oldest part of the mercury mine. Anthony's Main Road began to be dug in 1490, and was named after St. Anthony of Padua, who protected miners against accidents in the pit. At the end of Anthony's Main Road, an
was dug out in the mid 18th century. The altar is decorated with a relief depiction of the Holy Trinity and statues of Saint Barbara and Saint Achacius - the patron saints of miners.